IRIS partners with community groups throughout Connecticut to help refugee families resettle. Community Co-sponsors play an integral role in helping refugees become self-sufficient and get off to a strong start in their new home country. Co-sponsorship is a collaboration among IRIS, your community group, and a refugee family. In a co-sponsorship, IRIS delegates most resettlement tasks to your group. Co-sponsors secure affordable housing, collect furniture and other household items, and help refugees access public benefits (HUSKY/medicaid, SNAP/food stamps, and TFA/cash assistance for eligible families). Co-sponsors also enrol children in school, facilitate job searches, and perform other necessary tasks. IRIS looks forward to partnering with your community group in the tremendous mission of refugee resettlement!
Churches, synagogues, mosques and non-faith-based community groups have already answered the call to help refugees resettle throughout Connecticut. See where Co-sponsors have already welcomed families or committed to doing so on the map below:
Steps to becoming a Co-sponsor
A co-sponsoring community needs a core team of at least 10 dedicated volunteers. Co-sponsors will also need to raise $4,000-$10,000 (depending on cost of living in your area) to provide a refugee family with short-term housing assistance. If your group doesn’t have enough volunteers or fundraising capacity, don’t be discouraged! You can pool your resources with other groups in your area. IRIS can connect you with potential partners.
1. Fill out the interest form. We’ll put you on our invitation list for an information session at IRIS.
2. Attend an information session at IRIS.
3. Complete and submit a co-sponsorship application [to firstname.lastname@example.org]
4. IRIS will invite community groups with strong applications to participate in a full-day training session at the IRIS office in New Haven (these usually run on Tuesdays or Thursdays from 9 a.m.to 4 p.m.)
5. Trained groups will notify IRIS when they are ready to resettle a family.
6. Once IRIS identifies an arriving family that is a good match for your community group, IRIS will send you information regarding the family and their arrival date. Your group will get a chance to decide if you are capable of resettling them at that time.
Get Started: Fill out the Co-sponsor Interest Form from Step 2 above and we’ll get back you with the co-sponsor application!
For further information, please read the Co-Sponsorship Manual