How can you help?
With a tax-deductible cash donation:
There are several ways you can help refugees. The best way to help new Americans get off to a good start is to make a tax-deductible donation to IRIS. It will be used where most needed to directly benefit refugees. Donate to IRIS HERE.
Create a welcoming home for refugees.
When IRIS welcomes refugees to begin a new life in New Haven, we need to turn an empty apartment into a home. Your donations of furniture and household goods make this possible. You can help furnish a refugee family’s first home in the US in two ways:
1) Purchase items from our Amazon Wish List found HERE.
2) Make in-kind donations of basic furniture and household items in excellent, clean condition.
Please note that we cannot accept clothing, due to space limitations.
We can always use the following items:
- Kitchen tables and chairs
- End/coffee tables
- Toddler-sized beds
- Kitchen supplies: pots, pans, silverware, dish sets, can openers (preferably manual), tea kettles, etc.
- Linens (new or clean/like-new): towels, sheets, blankets, comforters, tablecloths, washcloths
- Alarm clocks
- Fans- box or oscillating
- New Hygiene Items: Deodorant, soap, shampoo & conditioner, toilet paper, tissues, razors and shaving cream, combs and brushes, women’s pads, small travel sewing kits
- New Cleanings Items: Brooms, mops, garbage cans, garbage bags, bleach/bathroom cleaner, dish soap, laundry detergent, sponges, cleaning detergent (Pine-Sol, etc.), paper towels
- Winter boots – waterproof, all sizes, mens/womens/childrens
- Winter/warm hats, gloves, scarves – mens/womens/childrens
- Cloth shopping bags
- Light bulbs, plungers, notebooks and pens
- Bagged vacuum cleaners
- Thermal underwear (new, any size, especially adult)
- Medical kits, with first-aid supplies and over-the-counter medicine
- 9 Volt batteries (for smoke alarms)
- AA batteries (for alarm clocks)
Donations are accepted Monday through Thursdays from 12-5pm. If you have furniture or household goods to donate, please contact our Housing and Donations Coordinators Brittany Hall and Bethany Delahunt at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please include photos, descriptions (dimensions) and pickup/contact info. If you are requesting a furniture pickup, please give us at least two weeks’ notice to schedule a pickup of large furniture.
If IRIS is not able to collect your donation directly, we suggest you contact Helping Hands thrift store. Please tell them that IRIS referred you, so that items needed to set up apartments for new refugees will be set aside for IRIS; other items will be sold in their thrift store and a portion of the sales will be given to IRIS.
Your donations are tax-deductible.
As of 1/1/18, our legal name is Integrated Refugee & Immigrant Services Inc., and our new EIN is 61-1764307. If you would like more information about IRIS, including our IRS form 990, audited financial reports and annual budget, please view our giveGreater profile found here.