How can you help?
With a tax-deductible cash donation:
There are several ways you can help refugees. The best way to help these new Americans get off to a good start is to make a tax-deductible donation to IRIS that will be used to fund a variety of programs that directly benefit refugees. Donate to IRIS HERE.
Purchase items to stock refugee apartments from our Amazon Wish List
Each refugee family we welcome to Connecticut is brought to an apartment that we have rented and furnished (with donated furniture) on their behalf. Our Amazon Wish List contains items that we use to supply refugee apartments. Check out our Amazon Wish List HERE.
Donate furniture or other items.
When IRIS welcomes refugees to begin a new life in New Haven, we need to turn an empty apartment into a home. IRIS always needs basic furniture and household items in excellent, clean condition. Please give us at least two weeks’ notice to schedule a pickup of large furniture.
Currently, we are not accepting general clothing; however, we do need select winter items and can always use the other items listed below:
- Winter coats – needed now, mens/womens/childrens
- Winter boots – waterproof, all sizes, mens/womens/childrens
- Winter/warm hats, gloves, scarves – mens/womens/childrens
- Kitchen tables and chairs
- End/coffee tables
- Kitchen supplies: pots, pans, silverware, dish sets, can openers (preferably manual), etc.
- Linens (clean, new or like-new): towels, sheets, blankets, comforters, tablecloths, washcloths
- Alarm clocks
- New Hygiene Items: Deodorant, soap, shampoo & conditioner, toilet paper, tissues, razors and shaving cream, new combs and brushes, small travel sewing kits
- Cleanings Items: Brooms, mops, garbage cans, roll/box of garbage bags, bleach/bathroom cleaner, dish soap, laundry detergent, sponges, cleaning detergent (Pine-Sol, etc.)
- Cloth shopping bags
- Light bulbs, plungers, notebooks and pens
- Bagged vacuum cleaners
- Winter blankets/quilts, any size in good, clean condition
- Thermal underwear (new, any size, especially adult)
- Medical kits, with first-aid supplies and over-the-counter medicine
- 9 Volt batteries (for smoke alarms)
- AA batteries (for alarm clocks)
- Musical instruments
If you have furniture or household goods to donate, please contact our Housing and Donations Coordinator Brittany Hall and Bethany Delahunt at email@example.com. In your email, please include photos, descriptions (dimensions) and pickup/contact info.
After we have spoken with you about your donation, we will decide if IRIS can collect it, or if we will ask our partner, Helping Hands, to collect it. If your donation is collected by Helping Hands, please tell them that IRIS referred you, so that items needed to set up apartments for new refugees will be set aside for IRIS; other items will be sold in their thrift store and a portion of the sales will be given to IRIS.
Your donations are tax-deductible.
WE THANK YOU!
If you would like more information about IRIS, including IRIS’s IRS form 990, audited financial reports and IRIS’s budget, please view our giveGreater profile found here.